Today, all the organizations generate a massive volume of data which is detrimental in making well-informed decisions. Over 80% of those Fortune 500 companies make use of Salesforce CRM for managing their organizational aspects which helps them in achieving critical business goals along with streamlined sales and service processes. However, managing a huge volume of highly sensitive and classified data still remains a mammoth challenging.
Instead of merely depending on Salesforce systems to safeguard the data and records, companies must themselves take steps to protect their data and prevent it from accidental data loss or various security threats. In fact, in 2007 Salesforce suffered a successful phishing attack which compromised contact information of a number of Salesforce customers. Considering this, backing up the Salesforce data emerges as a sensible step.
But before proceeding with the implementation of a data backup and recovery solution in your Salesforce system, there are some critical aspects that need to be considered. They have been discussed in detail below:
- Backup method – There are several kinds of data backups that an enterprise can choose from. It is important to consider every method properly as they require different amounts of storage impacting costs and different amounts of time which impacts both the length of the backup and recovery procedure. Popular options include tape-based, disk-based, and cloud-based backup.
- Backup location – Even though most of the organizations believe in backing up their data into cloud systems, they should still potentially keep a copy of the data in some other location also. This increases the security of data backup as well.
- Backup schedule – Another thing to ensure is that the backup process is automated and runs on a schedule rather than being manual. The schedule should be fixed in such a manner that it is frequent enough to capture data changes, focuses on production workflow needs, and happens during off-peak hours.
- Backup (and recovery) flexibility – The company needs to accept the fact that backup and recovery, though functionalities of the same solution, are very different. While data backup generally covers everything, data recovery needs to be highly scalable and flexible.
- Scalable– The data backup and recovery solution must grow as the company grows. The backup solution should be able to handle the increasing volumes of data.
- Backup security– Another aspect which holds immense value is the data security. While it is necessary for backups to be accessible, they shouldn’t be accessible to just anyone. It is vital to ensure that proper security protocols are followed and backup data is safe from tampering and foreign attacks.
- Ease of use– The backup and recovery solution should not be very complicated to implement and run as it would consume most of the time and resources of the employees. The backup solution must be easy to use without incurring additional costs or hiring new personnel.
- Cost-effectiveness– Last but not the least, it is necessary to remember that backup solutions ultimately cost money. Several cost factors like hardware and software, maintenance charges, and staff-training need to be taken into account. Companies should also evaluate how their backup solution would impact the budget as the business grows and changes.
Taking into consideration all the above aspects, we recently launched a tailor-made data backup and recovery application called DataArchiva Backup. DataArchiva Backup, easily available on the AppExchange, is a simple data backup and recovery application designed to support Salesforce services like Sales Cloud, Service Cloud, and custom-designed solutions. DataArchiva Backup’s full and incremental backup services can be used to overcome various data loss challenges that not only safeguards the data but also ensures its security within the cloud infrastructure.
This cost-effective and easy-to-use solution is highly scalable and comes with a seamless restore option. DataArchiva Backup also facilitates scheduled backup, on-demand backup, support for full and incremental backups, multiple object backup, search, and restore (full, incremental, single object, custom settings), making it ideal for a long-term data management strategy. To know more about this solution, please get in touch with us.